Saturday 22 September 2012

Ye'miser W'et (Ethiopian spicy red lentil stew)

I remembered to use my "good camera"


After a really long week, I went for a run. During my runs I kinda go through recipes in my head, and was planning a delicate light dinner, but then I was like "no" and decided on something really hearty. In my language that means one thing - LENTILS!

I remembered the Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian Food zine I bought earlier this year, and decided to make something from that.

Note: you gotta have some niter kibbeh (spiced butter/ghee) and berbere (spiced chilli paste) ready to go. These can be made in big batches and kept in the fridge for ages. Recipes can be found around the web, but I used the one from the zine. Nuttelex or vegetable ghee can be used as a substitute to veganise the niter kibbeh-- I prefer Nutellex 'cause while vegetable ghee tastes amazing, it's also hydrogenated which for me is a no-go.



Ye'miser W'et (Ethiopian spicy red lentil stew) (adapted from Kittee Berns' Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian Food)

Serves 1 really hungry person or 2 normal people, probably

1/2 cup dried red lentils
1 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp niter kibbeh
1 tbsp berbere
1 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium tomato
1/2 cup water or stock
salt to taste

1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp sweet paprika


In a small saucepan, add the lentils and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid is gone. Should take around 15 minutes or so. Set them aside.

Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. In a separate saucepan, sauté the garlic and onion in the niter kibbeh and berbere over a slow to medium heat. Cook until the onions are clear and beginning to brown. Add the spices and continue to sauté for a few minutes. 

Finely dice the tomato and add it to the saucepan. Turn the heat up and sauté until the tomatoes release their liquid and break down. Add the water/stock and lower the heat to a simmer. 

Finally, add the lentils and keep simmering until the mixture thickens to your liking. Add salt to taste and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment